There are usually many features that Apple can’t finish before the first official release of a major new version of iOS, and this year seems to be no different, as it has now been confirmed that there will be a total of nine iOS 16 features in the first public release of the new operating system. .
Last year, SharePlay, digital IDs in the Wallet app, and Universal Control were among a slew of features in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 that weren’t available in their initial release, taking several months to trickle down to users.
Apple previewed each of the following features when announcing iOS 16 at WWDC earlier this year, but they won’t be in iOS 16.0 when it goes public tomorrow:
- live activities: Follow real-time activities such as a sports match or ride-sharing with a single glance on the lock screen. Third-party apps and app segments can implement support thanks to the Live Activities API.
- Game Center SharePlay support: Games that use Game Center multiplayer support have SharePlay integration. You can automatically start playing with friends on a FaceTime call.
- Game Center contact integration: Contacts shows your friends’ Game Center profiles. Click to see what they’re playing and what they’re achieving in games.
- Article supportThe new smart home connectivity standard that enables compatible accessories to work seamlessly together and across platforms. Matter allows users to choose from the most compatible smart home accessories and control them using the Home app and Siri on their Apple devices.
- Updated architecture for Home: Improvements to the Home app infrastructure to enable faster, more reliable performance and improved efficiency, especially for homes with lots of accessories and multiple controllers.
- free app: The new digital whiteboard app with a flexible canvas for planning projects, grouping important assets, and brainstorming, with real-time collaboration features and rich multimedia support.
- iCloud Shared Photo LibraryA new option in the Photos app to allow users to create a shared photo library and invite anyone with an Apple ID to view, contribute, and edit them, including favorite photos and adding captions. There are no restrictions, and all participants have the same permissions, which makes it ideal for families.
- key sharing: The ability to securely share keys in Apple Wallet across messaging and mail apps.
- Easy setup of shortcuts For iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X: Siri can run shortcuts from installed apps without any setup process (to be available for newer devices instantly without delay).
iCloud Shared Photo Library is the latest feature to be delayed after Apple’s “elusive” event earlier this week, but all other delays were known at the initial preview of iOS 16 at WWDC.
Apple says all of these features are coming in an iOS 16 update later this year, but a more specific timeframe hasn’t been given for any of them yet. After months of beta testing, iOS 16.0 will be officially available for download on every compatible iPhone tomorrow. For a step-by-step breakdown of all the new features in iOS 16, check out our comprehensive roundup.
Garmin interacts with the Apple Watch Ultra: “ We measure battery life in months. Not hours.
Garmin responded to Apple’s rugged new Apple Watch Ultra, saying in a tweet after the iPhone 14 and Apple Watch event that it measures battery life in “months” and “not hours,” to promote its latest Enduro 2 watch to athletes. While the Apple Watch Ultra has the longest battery life of any Apple Watch to date, Apple promises up to 36 hours of normal use and up to 60 hours with …
Apple unveils iPhone 14 Pro with dynamic island, always-on display, 48-megapixel camera, and more
Apple today announced the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, featuring “Dynamic Island” to display alerts and activity in a new way, a brighter display with always-on functionality, the A16 Bionic chip, a more advanced camera system, new color options and more. iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max offer “Dynamic Island” thanks to a redesigned TrueDepth camera array that takes …
Should you skip the iPhone 14? Five major iPhone 15 rumors you should be aware of
With pre-orders for the iPhone 14 lineup now open, many iPhone customers will consider whether or not now is the time to upgrade their device. iPhone 14 models offer some substantial upgrades with Emergency SOS satellite, fault detection, camera improvements, and more, but some customers will now set their minds next year, when the time will be more appropriate…
How does the new iPhone 14 Pro Dynamic Island work
With the launch of the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, Apple introduced an updated design that eliminates the notch in the front for the TrueDepth camera. Instead, Apple has scaled down the hardware and placed the proximity sensor under the display, allowing for smaller pill-shaped cutouts. Subscribe to MacRumors’ YouTube channel for more videos. As we learned through rumors…
Want to trade your iPhone for a new iPhone 14? Here’s how much it’s worth
iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max pre-orders open tomorrow, and if you’re among the many customers upgrading from an older iPhone, you might consider your options to trade-in. Apple has a popular trade-in program that gives customers a certain amount of credit from the purchase of a new iPhone based on the model delivered and its condition…
Dynamic Island: First look at the new pill-shaped iPhone 14 Pro
Apple today introduced the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max with a new pill-shaped slot called “Dynamic Island,” which Apple says provides a “rich and fun new way to interact with activities, alerts, and notifications” on devices. With a combination of hardware and software, Dynamic Island can transform into different shapes and sizes for things like an incoming phone…
The Internet Reacts to the Dynamic Island of the iPhone 14 Pro: ‘One of Apple’s Best Designs’
After introducing the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max with the all-new Dynamic Island feature, which smartly integrates the new pill-shaped replacement into iOS for system alerts and functionality, netizens responded in a very positive way to Apple’s new UX design. In the US, “iPhone 14 Pro” and “Dynamic Island” were popular on Twitter…
Here’s when you can pre-order the iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, and AirPods Pro 2 in each time zone
Pre-orders for the iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max will begin Friday, September 9 at 5:00 a.m. PST, with the new devices available in several countries around the world simultaneously. For this reason, we have compiled a list of pre-order times in different countries around the world so that MacRumors readers can know when…